“We’ve had many memorable adventures in California, but hands-down our most magical experience so far has been the bioluminescence kayak tour with Blue Waters Kayaking in Tomales Bay.” -Travel With Lulu
North Bay Bioluminescence Tour
Due to COVID-19, we are asking that you only sign up in increments of 2 for our Bioluminescence Tours
To set up Midweek Private Bioluminescence Tours, please call 415.669.2600
Meeting Location: MILLER BOAT LAUNCH: on the East side of Tomales Bay- 13 miles North of Point Reyes Station (next to Nick’s Cove)
Want more time with the bioluminescence? You should check out our Private Tomales Bay Camping Tour info below.
Bioluminescence is the production and emission of light by a living organism. On dark (moonless) nights on Tomales Bay, bluish white flickers are visible in the water column, which come from blooms of bioluminescent “dinoflagellates”. These tiny critters emit short flashes of light when disturbed, and at certain times of the year put on quite a show for kayakers. Schools of fish in the bay create a phosphorescent trail which can look like a glowing cloud in the water. Seals chasing the fish may create a phosphorescent event which can be very exciting to watch. Night Herons are often out and about as well, chasing the same schools of fish. All this glowing activity is only visible at night when the sun and moon are both down. Accordingly, we have set up evening paddles which should afford good viewing after we enjoy the beautiful sunset.
Please understand that when a reservation is made with Blue Waters Kayaking, it is a commitment on our part to hold seats in a kayak for you. This often involves considerable work on our part to make sure that the right equipment is ready for you at the right place and time. We can (and often do) turn away others from that particular date (or trip). If you decide to cancel, it can be difficult for us to book someone else on that trip, and in some cases may cause a trip to be cancelled due to the effect on minimum group size requirements. With this in mind, we have implemented the following cancellation policy:
* All reservations are subject to a 5% non-refundable handling fee at the time of booking.
* Up to 7 days prior to the event: Full refunds of any fees paid will be given during this time period, minus the 5% non-refundable handling fee. There is no charge for rescheduling during this time period.
* 7 days prior to the event: Your reservation is considered final, and all fees are due and payable. Unpaid credit card deposits will be charged. After this time no money will be refunded
* Within 7 days (including the day of the event): all cancellations and no shows will be charged in full with no refunds or reschedules unless due to inclement weather. (see below)
We attempt in all cases to determine prior to your tour launch if weather will impede your trip. However, there are rare occasions where we have launched and weather patterns change suddenly at which time we must return to shore.
In this case the following policies apply and each patron is responsible to contact the office to make arrangements.
~~Where tour is cancelled after we already launched the kayaks and must return to shore within the first hour patrons can:
Reschedule with a future trip
Receive a 50% refund
~~Where tour is cancelled before we have launched the kayaks patrons can:
Reschedule the same trip on a future date (at no cost)
Cancel completely. Each patron is responsible to contact the office to make arrangements. In the event you choose to cancel you will receive a full refund minus the 5% handling fee.
Public & Private Camping Tours
(6 person minimum on Private Tours & 12 person maximum on Public Tours)
includes bioluminescence or moonlight tour from camp
Please Call 415.669.2600 to Set Up Your Private Camping Adventure
Your day will start at Miller Boat Launch, where we will load all of your camping gear in to our closed deck double kayaks. (You should have no problem fitting all of your essentials if you pack “backpack style”) Once loaded we will paddle over to the Point Reyes National Seashore for a beautiful morning of exploring before we make it to the beach that we will call camp. Your guide will be available to help with questions as you set up camp, then you have the day to yourself to enjoy whatever you would like (hiking, swimming, exploring the intertidal zone, reading, relaxing, ect…)
On all our group camps, your guide and camp host will lead guided tours from camp for anyone who wants to explore Tomales Bay after the sun goes down. On dark nights we’ll explore the shoreline and be thrilled by the natural light show in the water that is bioluminescence, and on moonlit nights we’ll paddle in the glow of glorious moonlight and stars. (There is still a slight chance to see bioluminescence on these moonlit nights if the fog comes in) Both are wonderful and exciting experiences! In both cases, your night will end with you sleeping peacefully at the waters edge.
Blue Waters Kayaking Provides:
- Kayaks with all Kayaking Gear
- Knowledgeable & Friendly Guides
- Camping Gear: Propane Fire Pit, 2 Burner Stove, 2 pots, 2 pans, 2 lanterns, hand washing station, & cleaning supplies.
- Sleeping Bag
- Sleeping Pad
- Food for your entire trip
- Plate or Bowl
- Eating Utensils
- 10AM – Arrive at Miller Boat Launch, and meet your guides. (Parking at Miller Boat Launch is limited on weekends, so arriving early is strongly suggested) – Unload your camping gear, park your vehicle, get oriented to your paddling gear, and load your kayaks. (full water bottle, snacks, sunblock, waterproof camera, ect…..should usually be packed somewhere accessible)
- 11-1PM -Enjoy a beautiful paddle over to your campsite with our fun and knowledgeable guides.
- 1pm-Dark – Once we arrive at our beach you will set up base camp and then enjoy lunch. After lunch you will have free time to enjoy the beach and the Point Reyes National Seashore. Explore the coastline by kayak, take a hike up the ridge, read a book, take a nap, swim….there are so many options.
- After Dark (time will change depending on the time of year) – Night Paddle from the beach.
- 9AM – Break down camp and load our gear in our boats.
- 10AM – The group will paddle back together to Miller Boat Launch, and we will be done by 12pm
(Times are approximate, and may change due to weather conditions, activity at the public boat ramp, or other unforeseen circumstances)
Full Moon Tours
Private Tours can be set up any day of the week by calling 415.669.2600
Bring a friend – this will be a tour to remember! These special three hour events will launch at sunset from Miller Boat Launch. Come see why the night time is one of the best times to kayak on Tomales Bay. Time: 3 hour tour. See Calendar
Treat yourself to an evening paddle with Blue Waters Kayaking.
You will not be disappointed!