“We’ve had many memorable adventures in California, but hands-down our most magical experience so far has been the bioluminescence kayak tour with Blue Waters Kayaking in Tomales Bay.” -Travel With Lulu
North Bay Bioluminescence Tour (3 HRS) – $95
Check out our CALENDAR for scheduled evening tour dates. To set up Private Tours, please call 415.669.2600
Meeting Location: MILLER BOAT LAUNCH: on the East side of Tomales Bay- 13 miles North of Point Reyes Station (next to Nick’s Cove)
Want more time with the bioluminescence? You should look below at our Public Tomales Bay Camping Tours.
Bioluminescence is the production and emission of light by a living organism. On dark (moonless) nights on Tomales Bay, bluish white flickers are visible in the water column, which come from blooms of bioluminescent “dinoflagellates”. These tiny critters emit short flashes of light when disturbed, and at certain times of the year put on quite a show for kayakers. Schools of fish in the bay create a phosphorescent trail which can look like a glowing cloud in the water. Seals chasing the fish may create a phosphorescent event which can be very exciting to watch. Night Herons are often out and about as well, chasing the same schools of fish. All this glowing activity is only visible at night when the sun and moon are both down. Accordingly, we have set up evening paddles which should afford good viewing after we enjoy the beautiful sunset.
Please understand that when a reservation is made with Blue Waters Kayaking, it is a commitment on our part to hold seats in a kayak for you. This often involves considerable work on our part to make sure that the right equipment is ready for you at the right place and time. We can (and often do) turn away others from that particular date (or trip). If you decide to cancel, it can be difficult for us to book someone else on that trip, and in some cases may cause a trip to be cancelled due to the effect on minimum group size requirements. With this in mind we have implemented the following cancellation policy:
* Up to 7 days prior to the event: A $5 per person processing fee will be charged for any cancellation on any reservation. Full refunds of any fees paid will be given during this time period, minus the $5 processing fee. There is no charge for rescheduling during this time period.
* 7 days prior to the event: Your reservation is considered final, and all fees are due and payable. Unpaid credit card deposits will be charged. After this time no money will be refunded
* Within 7 days and up to 72 hours prior to your event: you may reschedule for an additional 50% payment of the class or trip cost. Upon rescheduling, you will receive a new reservation confirmation.
* Within 72 hours and including the day of the event: all cancellations and no shows will be charged in full with no refunds or reschedules unless due to inclement weather. (see below)
We attempt in all cases to determine prior to your tour launch if weather will impede your trip, and we will contact you as soon as we see any signs of incliment weather. However, there are rare occasions where we have launched and weather patterns change suddenly at which time we must return to shore.
In this case the following policies apply and each patron is responsible to contact the office to make arrangements.
~~Where tour is cancelled after we already launched the kayaks and must return to shore patrons can:
Reschedule with a future trip
Receive a 50% refund
~~Where tour is cancelled before we have launched the kayaks patrons can:
Reschedule the same trip on a future date (at no cost)
Cancel completely. Each patron is responsible to contact the office to make arrangements.
In the event you choose to cancel you will receive a full refund minus the $5 per person non-refundable deposit that was included in your reservation.
Bioluminescence & Moonlight Camping Tours
(includes bioluminescence or moonlight tour from camp)
11am (Saturday) – 11am (Sunday)
Every Saturday on Bioluminescence Weekends
Every Saturday from May-November in 2019
Private Tours can be set up any day of the week by calling 415.669.2600
Tomales Bay Camping Permits are EXTREMELY LIMITED, and sell out as early as 6 months in advance. Accordingly, we have developed a group camping program which groups of 10 or less are invited to join. (Private camps can be set up for larger groups on any day by calling in) We set up a waterside camp that is reached by a 2-3 mile scenic paddle, equipped with tables, camp chairs, camp stove, firewood for one fire, fresh water, and staffed by our capable and friendly kayak guides. All that you need to bring is your food for the trip, tent, sleeping bag/ pad, and anything else you would like to have on your adventure. Arrive at 10am, load your gear on to our motorboat, and then enjoy the beautiful paddle to your campsite with your knowledgeable guides.
On all our group camps, your guide and camp host will lead guided tours from camp for anyone who wants to explore Tomales Bay after the sun goes down. On dark nights we’ll explore the shoreline and be thrilled by the natural light show in the water that is bioluminescence, and on moonlit nights we’ll paddle in the glow of glorious moonlight and stars. (There is still a slight chance to see bioluminescence on these moonlit nights if the fog comes in) Both are wonderful and exciting experiences! In both cases, your night will end with you sleeping peacefully at the waters edge.
(Times are approximate, and may change due to weather conditions, activity at the public boat ramp, or other unforeseen circumstances)
- 11AM – Arrive at Miller Boat Launch, and meet your guides. (Parking at Miller Boat Launch is limited on weekends, so carpooling and arriving early is strongly suggested)
- 12:30pM – Unload your camping gear to be taken over on our motorboat, park your vehicle, get oriented to your gear, and load your kayaks with whatever you would like for the paddle over. (full water bottle, snacks, sunblock, waterproof camera, ect)
- 12:30-2PM -Enjoy a beautiful paddle over to your campsite with our fun and knowledgeable guides.
- 2pm-Dark – Once we arrive at our beach we will set up our base camp & kitchen, which will be available to use at your leasure throughout the trip. Ater lunch you will have free time to enjoy the beach and the Point Reyes National Seashore. Explore the coastline by kayak, take a hike up the ridge, read a book, take a nap, swim….there are so many options.
- After Dark (time will change depending on the time of year) – Night Paddle from the beach.
- 9AM – Our motor boat will arrive at the beach to load our camping gear to be brought back to Miller Boat Launch.
- 10AM – The group will paddle back together to Miller Boat Launch and will be done by 11am
Full Moon Tours
Private Tours can be set up any day of the week by calling 415.669.2600
Bring a friend – this will be a tour to remember! These special three hour events will launch at sunset from Miller Boat Launch. Come see why the night time is one of the best times to kayak on Tomales Bay. Time: 3 hour tour. See Calendar
Treat yourself to an evening paddle with Blue Waters Kayaking.
You will not be disappointed!