Amazing opportunities for pleasant strolls and challenging hikes are everywhere if you know where to look….and luckily we do!
Blue Waters has set up tours from 3-10 miles, and will take you to locations that range from ridgeline hikes with sweeping views to beautiful low tide beach hikes under the bluffs. We have public tours scheduled every month, and private tours can be set up any day with advance notice. All of our tours are led by local naturalists with medical training and a wide range of knowledge about our flora, fauna, local history, and much more.
2020 Dates TBA
This 1.6 mile out and back hike is relatively easy while being very rewarding with a chance of seeing river otters, a large range birds, whales in the ocean, and much more! We will walk through open grasslands and coastal shrubs to a bridge that connects multiple lagoons with great spring wildflowers. After that we have the option to walk as far as we like on the Great Beach before we turn back.
Meet at the Abbott’s Lagoon Trailhead where there are bathrooms but no water. 3 hours including a snack/ lunch break. Bring a snack and water.
Laguna Loop @ Low Tide w/ lunch
2020 Dates TBA
A superb loop hike in the central part of the National Seashore that will take you from the beautiful lower slopes of the Inverness Ridge to the multi-hued bluffs of Sculptured Beach and back. We will marvel at “hanging gardens” that are fed by seep springs, look for free ranging Tule Elk, and explore the many wonders of the intertidal zone.
Meet at the Laguna Trailhead (just past the hostel) where there are bathrooms but no water. This is a fairly easy loop walk of 5 miles with the only uphill of note at the start and tide pooling at our lunch location. Lunch is provided. Bring a snack and water.
(Private Tours Available)
A fantastic loop hike starting at one the most beautiful beaches in the National Seashore. We will explore the sandy beaches of Limantour Beach and then travel through a network of trails that should allow us a viewing of some of the diverse flora and fauna of our area.
Meet at the Limantour Beach Parking Lot (the largest and farthest north parking lot) where there are bathrooms but no water. This fairly easy loop walk is 6 miles with very little uphill, but we will be walking on sand for a small portion which can be harder. Five hours including a snack break. Bring a snack and water.
Drake’s Estero Trail
(Private Tours Available)
This out and back hike is relatively easy and provides a fantastic experience for all types of hikers. This trail will take you through an old Christmas tree farm that provides bird watching opportunities, an then on to Home Bay. Once there you will have a chance of seeing bat rays, leopard sharks, a wide range of water birds, and much more! From there we will keep our eyes open for harbor seals on the water, as well as Tule Elk in the hills as we take in the views of the Estero.
Meet at the Estero Trailhead where there are bathrooms but no water. Four hours including a snack/ lunch break. Bring a lunch and water.
||We will meet at the predetermined trail head to organize gear as well as go over the general plan, and safety procedures for the day. Then we will hit the trail and explore an amazing section of trail with your friendly and knowledgeable guide.
||Our guides will bring a first aid kit, extra water, and a waterproof backpack.
|What to Bring:
||Come prepared for variable weather. Bring clothes that reflect your degree of sensitivity to heat or cold.
* Sun screen & lip balm
* Hat with sun visor
* Wool or fleece hat (for cold days)
* 1 liter (minimum) water bottle
* Sturdy hiking shoes with ankle support
* Waterproof jacket
* Wool, capilene, poly pro, or some other synthetic long sleeve, long underwear shirt that will keep you warm when it is wet. (Cotton or cotton blend clothing retains water and will keep you cold if it becomes wet.)
*Backpack (day pack or small backpack work best)
* Change of clothes for after the tour
* High energy snack or a light lunch
||You will receive a link to your release of liability and assumption of risk form with your confirmation email after you have booked. Please send the link to all members of your party and have them read and sign the form before your trip.
Please understand that when a reservation is made with Blue Waters Kayaking, it is a commitment on our part to hold seats in a kayak for you. This often involves considerable work on our part to make sure that the right equipment is ready for you at the right place and time. We can (and often do) turn away others from that particular date (or trip). If you decide to cancel, it can be difficult for us to book someone else on that trip, and in some cases may cause a trip to be cancelled due to the effect on minimum group size requirements. With this in mind, we have implemented the following cancellation policy:
* All reservations are subject to a 5% non-refundable handling fee at the time of booking.
* Up to 7 days prior to the event: Full refunds of any fees paid will be given during this time period, minus the 5% non-refundable handling fee. There is no charge for rescheduling during this time period.
* 7 days prior to the event: Your reservation is considered final, and all fees are due and payable. Unpaid credit card deposits will be charged. After this time no money will be refunded
* Within 7 days (including the day of the event): all cancellations and no shows will be charged in full with no refunds or reschedules unless due to inclement weather. (see below)
We attempt in all cases to determine prior to your tour launch if weather will impede your trip. However, there are rare occasions where we have launched and weather patterns change suddenly at which time we must return to shore.
In this case the following policies apply and each patron is responsible to contact the office to make arrangements.
~~Where tour is cancelled after we already launched the kayaks and must return to shore within the first hour patrons can:
- Reschedule with a future trip
- Receive a 50% refund
~~Where tour is cancelled before we have launched the kayaks patrons can:
- Reschedule the same trip on a future date (at no cost)
- Cancel completely. Each patron is responsible to contact the office to make arrangements. In the event you choose to cancel you will receive a full refund minus the 5% handling fee.