~Overnight Kayak & SUP Rentals on Tomales Bay (Drop Off or Take Away Options Available)
~Tomales Bay Guided Camping Tours (Bioluminescence weekends sell out fast)
TAKE AWAY RENTALS
Load up a kayak or SUP on your own vehicle and take it to one of the many beautiful launching locations on Tomales Bay.
From our NEW LOCATION next to the gas station in Point Reyes (11401 CA-1, Point Reyes Station, CA 94956)
Tomales Bay typically gets higher winds after 12pm, so early rentals are suggested
Weekends can be busy
Reservations are suggested
Single Kayak/ SUP
DROP OFF RENTALS
Reservation Required. Available every Saturday/Sunday @ Miller Boat Launch. Midweek & other locations available by request with Small Group Surcharge.
Weekends can be busy
Reservations are suggested
24 Hours w/Late Return
Single Kayak / SUP
Enjoy the Sublime Natural World Just One Hour North of San Francisco!
Imagine camping on a beautiful beach that can only be reached by boat in the Point Reyes National Seashore…Tomales Bay has a number of these remote beaches where camping is permitted and which are located within an easily accessible paddle from most of the local launch sites.
We offer a variety of guided services to help make your kayak camping adventure a success such as catered camping trips, team building events, and gear shuttling with our motorboat. (This service is only available for guided tours.)
Sit-on-tops (the primary rental boats) do not carry much gear, so overnight kayak rentals should pack no more gear than would be brought on a backpacking trip. For help with planning your adventure check out the “Know Before You Go” information and the Tomales Bay Beach Map below as well as our FAQ page for ideas on what to bring with!
All groups on Tomales Bay are limited in size to 25 people maximum per the National Seashore. Options for groups up to 150 people are available at Lake Sonoma. (Call 415.669.2600 or check out our Lake Sonoma Adventures page for more details)
~ Check out our Tomales Bay Beach Map and our “Know Before You Go” facts at the bottom of the page ~
Bioluminescence & Moonlight Camping Tours Every Saturday
(includes bioluminescence or moonlight tour from camp)
11am (Saturday) – 11am (Sunday)
Tomales Bay Camping Permits are EXTREMELY LIMITED, and sell out as early as 6 months in advance. Accordingly, we have developed a group camping program which groups of 10 or less are invited to join. (Private camps can be set up for larger groups on any day by calling in) We set up a waterside camp that is reached by a 2-3 mile scenic paddle, equipped with tables, camp chairs, camp stove, firewood for one fire, fresh water, and staffed by our capable and friendly kayak guides. All that you need to bring is your FOOD for the trip, tent, sleeping bag/ pad, and anything else you would like to have on your adventure. Arrive at 10am, load your gear on to our motorboat, and then enjoy the beautiful paddle to your campsite with your knowledgeable guides.
We will have open public guided camps on BIOLUMINESCENCE WEEKENDS IN APRIL & EVERY SATURDAY NIGHT from MAY THROUGH NOVEMBER in 2020*
*There will camps on two consecutive nights for Memorial Day and 4th of July weekends: Saturday and Sunday. You can arrange to stay for one or both nights.
- 11AM – Arrive at Miller Boat Launch, and meet your guides. (Parking at Miller Boat Launch is limited on weekends, so carpooling and arriving early is strongly suggested) – Unload your camping gear to be taken over on our motorboat, park your vehicle, get oriented to your gear, and load your kayaks with whatever you would like for the paddle over. (full water bottle, snacks, sunblock, waterproof camera, ect)
- 11:30-1PM -Enjoy a beautiful paddle over to your campsite with our fun and knowledgeable guides.
- 1pm-Dark – Once we arrive at our beach we will set up our base camp & kitchen, which will be available to use at your leasure throughout the trip. Ater lunch you will have free time to enjoy the beach and the Point Reyes National Seashore. Explore the coastline by kayak, take a hike up the ridge, read a book, take a nap, swim….there are so many options.
- After Dark (time will change depending on the time of year) – Night Paddle from the beach.
- 9AM – Our motor boat will arrive at the beach to load our camping gear to be brought back to Miller Boat Launch.
- 10AM – The group will paddle back together to Miller Boat Launch, and we will be done by 11am
(Times are approximate, and may change due to weather conditions, activity at the public boat ramp, or other unforeseen circumstances)
~This tour needs a minimum of 6 participants to go~
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO
~You must pick up your permit at the Bear Valley Visitor Center the morning of your adventure if you are renting to go camping on your own. This is also when and where you will acquire your fire permit if they are issuing them. (There are no burn days on Tomales Bay where you can’t make a fire, but you can use a camp stove)
~All groups are limited in size on Tomales Bay to 25 people maximum per the National Seashore. Options are available at Lake Sonoma for groups of 20 – 150 people overnight. (Call 415.669.2600 or check out our Lake Sonoma Group Camping page for more details)
~Saturdays can be very busy on Tomales Bay. You will typically see fewer people if you choose to camp midweek or on a Friday or Sunday instead.
~Winds can pick up in the afternoons, so launching before 12pm is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED (36 hour rentals may not be available due to weather conditions)
~There is no potable water on Tomales Bay. You must bring all of your water. (1 gallon per person/ per day is recommended)
~There is no collecting of firewood on Tomales Bay. You must bring any wood with you for campfires. Only Pine and Almond are allowed to be burned. (We provide a propane fire pit that can be used all year around on our Guided Camping Tours)
~Marshall Beach and Tomales Beach are the only beaches with public restrooms. All other beaches require you to bring some kind of portable restroom system. (We sell wag bags on site and there is no digging of catholes allowed.)
~Most beaches are extremely tidally dependent. Know the tides and weather for the days you will be on the water.
~Parking is extremely limited and there is a charge for overnight parking. Blue Waters Kayaking asks all our guests to carpool whenever possible.
~TOTAL KAYAK WEIGHT LIMIT = 500 lbs.
~For all rentals children must weigh at least 50 lbs and be older than 5 years old.
~Before you launch check out the Guide to Low Impact Boat Camping from the Point Reyes National Seashore
Check out our Tomales Bay Beach & Launch Locations Map!
~If you are on a phone and having trouble viewing this map,
click on the icon in the upper right hand corner of the map to view this map on Google Maps.~
GREEN TAG: Public Launch Location
ORANGE TAG: Boat-in Camping Beach
YELLOW TAG: Boat-in Camping Beach w/ Seasonal Closure
GREY TAG: Boat-in Camping Beach w/ Public Restroom
PURPLE TAG: Day use beach
RED TAG: Do Not Land
Please understand that when a reservation is made with Blue Waters Kayaking, it is a commitment on our part to hold seats in a kayak for you. This often involves considerable work on our part to make sure that the right equipment is ready for you at the right place and time. We can (and often do) turn away others from that particular date (or trip). If you decide to cancel, it can be difficult for us to book someone else on that trip, and in some cases may cause a trip to be cancelled due to the effect on minimum group size requirements. With this in mind, we have implemented the following cancellation policy:
* All reservations are subject to a 5% non-refundable handling fee at the time of booking.
* Up to 7 days prior to the event: Full refunds of any fees paid will be given during this time period, minus the 5% non-refundable handling fee. There is no charge for rescheduling during this time period.
* 7 days prior to the event: Your reservation is considered final, and all fees are due and payable. Unpaid credit card deposits will be charged. After this time no money will be refunded
* Within 7 days (including the day of the event): all cancellations and no shows will be charged in full with no refunds or reschedules unless due to inclement weather. (see below)
We attempt in all cases to determine prior to your tour launch if weather will impede your trip. However, there are rare occasions where we have launched and weather patterns change suddenly at which time we must return to shore.
In this case the following policies apply and each patron is responsible to contact the office to make arrangements.
~~Where tour is cancelled after we already launched the kayaks and must return to shore within the first hour patrons can:
- Reschedule with a future trip
- Receive a 50% refund
~~Where tour is cancelled before we have launched the kayaks patrons can:
- Reschedule the same trip on a future date (at no cost)
- Cancel completely. Each patron is responsible to contact the office to make arrangements. In the event you choose to cancel you will receive a full refund minus the 5% handling fee.